Submission

My eyes are open to darkness. I've long since learned how to make my way through isolation without the use of sight. I am confident in my movements and do not stumble or falter.

A sudden, glaring light reveals an intrusion into my carefully crafted world of silence. It's talons are sharp and dig roughly into my surroundings, leaving deep, jagged scars.

I look around in confusion, not recognizing what's happening to my sanctuary. I watch in horror as the intruder melds itself into everything I have spent so much time perfecting.

Something foreign snakes its way into my consciousness so slowly it feels like a caress. I am not alarmed but rather curious so I welcome it openly. The whispers of promises are pretty and alluring.

With my attention held I don't notice the chaos that continues around me. Selective words are sung into my ears, a lullaby, as if to a child to dream them to sleep. I close my eyes and listen, forgetting all about the destruction before my feet.

Gentle, calming tendrils massage tension I hadn't noticed from my temples. I relax under the comfortable weight, almost in a trance. How wonderful that I was chosen for this gift.

But soon the weight becomes too much to bear and the lullabies become all too familiar. I try to shake my head to clear it but the once silk tendrils have turned to stone. I try to open my eyes but my lids have become much too heavy to lift.

And still yet my alarms do not ring. I have been treated so kindly. Why shouldn't I trust in this being? Why must I rebel? Who am I to question this?

The weight is so immense that I am brought to my knees. I gasp at the pain but am unable to open my mouth or my eyes. They have been sewn shut. I try to bring my hands to my face to rip them open but they are held fast to my body. I cannot move, or see, or speak.

And still yet my alarms do not ring. I held mistrust and now this is my consequence. I am fated to this rigid stillness. This is my disgrace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Monster Within

I Am